Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Greatest. Invention. Ever.

Seriously.

I don't do technology for the most part. I don't own an mp3 player, and I don't want to. My cellphone is uncharged and dead somewhere, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for it. And I don't care. We don't have a GPS. We've debated it, but, we like getting lost. It's sort of our thing. We don't have portable DVD players either. Infact, we don't even have cable *Insert shocked face here* but we usually don't for the summer because we're either never home, or never ever in the house to watch it. In the winter we're just like everyone else and obviously I'm a big fan of HGTV, Antiques Roadshow, and the like. Also, we all know I have an unquenchable need for a pink Dell laptop. Aside from that I thought I'd beaten technology for the most part (A computer is considered technology anymore, is it?)

Until today that is.

Meet my new best friend:



Group, say hello to the Sony eBook Reader.

I'd heard of Amazon's Kindle, but for $360 US+ I didn't look into it too closely. You also cannot use it in Canada. The Sony eBook Reader is a mere $200-$250 and does practically the same thing.

I'll give the Kindle thumbs up for it's totally cool wifi capabilities... but, for us 'poor' folks, I think I can handle plugging my Reader into my computer to download books, newspapers, oh, and most importantly, blogs. It can also store around 160 ebooks. Amazing. The Sony eBook preview store (You use the actual software to download your books) is fantastic. It has any book you could ever imagine, and even some that you couldn't! I could easily see why you would need space for 160 ebooks!

I'm a huge reader and am forever having to listen to Mr. Pretties complain because there's a 3' stack of books on my bedside table, dresser, on top of the fridge, on the mantel, in his drawers, etc... do you know how much time this would save him?! He'd have to find a whole entire other entity to complain about to fill the void this would create! You also save approx. 10% on your book purchases from the eBook store.

I knew you could download books, but sitting at the computer trying to read totally didn't appeal to me at. all. But, the Kindle and the Reader have 'paper technology' so that looking at the screen is almost identical to looking at a page and not a screen at all. I'm sorry, but how amazing is that? If you see the pictures online of the screen you'll see what I mean. It's seriously like looking at a piece of paper. I get migraines from reading too much on a screen and I think I could totally handle this. You can also adjust the size of the text so that it's just right for you (or me. Obviously). Fabbity fab I tell you!

This is truly what I want for this Christmas, Easter, my Anniversary, my Birthday, etc... Now if they could throw in a Black Berry so that I could blog during the night, that would be even better. I'm sure they can arrange that....

No comments:

Post a Comment